25 Oct Italian sausage with peppers, tomato & wine sauce
Italian sausage with peppers, tomato & wine sauce
A classic Italian favourite! This savoury sausage dish unites all your favourite Italian flavours into one pan. Serve with crusty bread and dipping oils for the full culinary experience.
- 4 Italian sausage
- Olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into long strips
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into long strips
- 1 bell pepper of another colour, sliced into long strips
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced into slivers
- 1 large red onion sliced in half-moons
- 1 small (15 ounce) can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp of dried oregano
- 1/2 cup Marsala or red wine
- Salt to taste
- Heat some olive oil over medium heat in a large pan. Add the sausages and brown them slowly. Cook for several minutes, turning them occasionally so they brown on all sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Sauté the onions, peppers and garlic the Increase the heat to high and add the onions and peppers. Toss so they get coated with the oil in the pan and sear them as well as you can, stirring every so often. Once the onions and peppers soften, sprinkle some salt on them. Once you get some searing on the onions and peppers, add the garlic, oregano and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the Marsala or red wine and with a wooden spoon scrape the bottom of the pan to release all the browned and blackened bits. Let the wine cook down by half.
- Add tomatoes, seasoning and the sausages, bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer until the peppers are soft the sausages are cooked through, about 20 minutes.